Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sloppy Joe's for a crowd

It's birthday season around here. Me, my girls, Jesus... we're all having birthdays in the next couple of months.
I have Halloween covered. My youngest has Thanksgiving (Yes, I begged out of the hospital early,  just in time to make Turkey dinner with the family.) and my oldest was born 4 days before Christmas as an early surprise.
That means that we generally try to do an early birthday party for my youngest and a late party for my oldest so that people will actually be able to come and relax without the hustle and bustle of the season upon them.

In order to feed our bunch, I have to amp up our recipe size, so here is a sloppy joe recipe for 20. (plus a little extra - it freezes.)

Every mother, grandmother, and daughter I know has this recipe, so it's not necessarily mine but I can't really trace it's source either. 

  • 4 pounds lean ground beef
  • 4 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed chicken gumbo soup
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup yellow mustard
  • 5 cups water
  • a few bloops of bbq sauce - just enough for a hint
  • a bloop or two of Worcestershire sauce
  • salt to taste - but you proooobably won't need it.
Brown the ground beef, drain the fat, and then toss everything into a crockpot.  Set on low with the lid off for an hour so that it can thicken. Then set it to warm and it's ready to serve.

We're adding shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches, Baked Mommy mac (made with French Onion Dip instead of sour cream), a garden salad, and Autumn Apple salad with fresh (pitted) cherries. We'll do cider, soda, and water for drinks.  - Nothing fancy or difficult, but it's good food and allows me to enjoy myself instead of being a slave to the kitchen as well.

No comments: