Monday, June 27, 2011

Cinnamon dusted cocoa covered almonds


I used to be a Dove chocolatier and they had the most amazing Chocolate Covered Cinnamon Dusted Almonds. Really they were to die for. But expensive.
Additionally, my husband and I started a low carb diet but I found myself really craving chocolate. On a shopping trip I found Emerald Brand cocoa dusted almonds and decided to give them a try. They really did give me my chocolate fix, but I knew I could make them myself much cheaper. So... inspired by both snacks, Cinnamon dusted cocoa covered almonds were born.

3C whole almonds
1/3 stick of butter, melted
1/4C splenda
1/4 C Unsweetened cocoa powder
1T cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350, and put a silpat on your baking sheet. (or parchment paper)

In a large zip top bag, add almonds and melted butter.
Shake to coat.
Add cocoa powder, splenda, and cinnamon.
Shake until almonds are completely coated.
Pour the mix out onto the baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes.

Depending on how sweet you prefer this to be, you can adjust the Splenda to taste without much impact to the overall nutritional information.

6 comments:

LisaTTravels said...

Angie, I made these and they are pretty good! I just dumped everything in the bag, but next time I would mix the Splenda, cocoa powder, and cinnamon together and add some salt, too, before dumping it in the bag. I think it needs a little to bring out the sweetness some more. But, I still say two thumbs up!

Angie said...

Oh yes! I forgot the salt. lol! I also added a little bit of espresso powder in the last batch. That brought out the chocolatey taste too without adding too much of a coffee taste.

Marti said...

OH BLESS YOU! SPLENDA!

I can't eat sugar because it makes me sleepless. This will be SO cool! I have everything for this in the closet now!

THANK YOU!!!!

Marti said...

So... "1/3 stick of butter"... we're talking about 2-3 tablespoons of butter, yes?

I think I may make this tonight. NOW. :)

Angie said...

That's right! 2-3T. I hope you like it. :)

Marti said...

Angie, I made these and THEY ARE INCREDIBLE! I used both regular and Hershey's "Special Dark" cocoa. Added 1/2 teaspoon KOSHER salt.
Baked for 45 minutes to get them fully roasted.

I love them. My friend at the office loves them. (She came back and asked for more.) My coworker who sits across from me said "WHY HAVE YOU NOT OPENED A STORE, SELLING THESE?"

And of course, I can eat them because they have no sugar! :0)

Thanks so much!