Monday, August 15, 2011

Blueberry Banana Bread

My kids pretend to like bananas, but generally they eat two bites and leave the rest to die a slow banana death. I'm thinking that if I just collect the forgotten nannas, and freeze them, maybe I can give them a new life... in banana bread.

My friend Jennifer S. send me this awesome recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour (I used half wheat flour)
1/2 cup reg. sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder, plus
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
A little nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
zest from 1 orange
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 or 4 medium mashed bananas
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries

Directions:

1 In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except blueberries for about 30 seconds.
2 Fold in the blueberries.
3 Pour into 2 greased 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 loaf pans that have been greased on the bottoms only.
4 Bake in 350ยบ oven for 55-60 minutes, til toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5 Cool slightly, loosen sides with knife from sides of pan, turn out onto rack to cool.
6 When cool, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, keep refrigerated.

No comments: