Thursday, September 17, 2009

Quesadillas for the freezer

3 packages (10 count) flour tortillas


1 packet taco seasoning

1-2 store bought small rotisserie chicken OR do a whole chicken in your crockpot (2 if you do all chicken and 1 if you do half chicken and half cheese quesadillas)

1 medium sized onion diced finely and cooked

1 medium sized pepper (red or green - or half of each!) diced and cooked

2 bricks of cream cheese

15 cups or 3-5 bags of shredded Mexican cheese blend

To assemble:

- cube or shread your chicken and toss with taco seasoning and cooked onions and peppers in a bowl

- Lay out a few tortillas and spread them with a thin layer of cream cheese (This is my *secret* for the best tasting quesadillas. You've gotta trust me. )

- Top with 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

- If making chicken quesadilla also add 1/2 c. chicken mixture

- Top with second flour tortilla and fry in pan, one at a time until golden.

- Place your cooled quesadillas in a gallon size freezer bag separated by parchment paper (or wax paper or whatever you've got)

NOTE:   If you aren't great at flipping a quesadilla (I'm not) here are two alternate ways of getting it cooked:

I lay the tortilla down and spread the filling on half of it. Then when it's brown I fold it over.


If I'm using two tortillas I'll brown the first one and then take it out. Then I'll put the second tortilla in, add the filling over the whole thing, and when the cheese gets melty I'll put that first tortilla on top and squish it a little.


To reheat:
-Remove quesadillas from freezer and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until heated through, about 1 minute.

No comments: